Thursday, February 18, 2010

RHINOCEROS to LION KING















In 1969 I experienced a major change in theatrical mind-set when I attended a performance of Ianesco's Rhinoceros at a theatre in New Haven, Connecticut. It was my first exposure to the genre of drama which explored the absurd as a medium of expression. My theatrical repertoire was shaken and enhanced at the same time.

When I think about that production of Rhinoceros I am immediately transported to the moment when a huge rhino comes charging down the aisle of the theatre just about a foot to my left shoulder. I am shocked, frightened, and exhilarated...all at the same time. It is the first time ever that I have experienced that use of the audience space in so profound a manner. The design of the costume is extraordinary, making the persona of the animal a reality. I remember reflecting after the production that I never, for a moment, saw a man in a rhino costume; the rhino was a real being from that first chilling moment.

Take a time-crossing machine to February 16, 2010, and I find myself in the Boston Opera House,one of the most beautiful theatres I have ever seen. The curtain lifts on Disney's Lion King, the Broadway musical. An African woman with a powerful stage voice sets the stage for my presence in central Africa.

Suddenly, down the aisle comes a herd of African animals, again only a couple of yards from my left shoulder. This time I am "protected" by two people to my left who are as enthralled by the spectacle as I am. My wife, who has seen the show in San Francisco, has shielded me mercifully from the details, so it is as dramatic a moment as that evening in 1969 when I was spared from being trampled by a rhinoceros in New Haven.

What is to follow is not nearly as "absurd" as Ianesco's presentation, but, at the same time, I find myself transported to a place where animals are animals, and their human imitators fade into obscurity. It is a testimony to the outstanding performances of the actors, however, that the transition is effective and complete. Lions, hyenas, wart hogs and giraffes occupy the stage for nearly three glorious hours. My fantasy "fix" is fulfilled.

I marvel at the artistry of both productions. They are as different as night and day, yet they both have elements of the absurd. Both are based upon deeply philosophical questions about the meaning of life. Rhinoceros is far more pessimistic than Lion King, however. The use of imagery allows me to abandon any labelling or identification with actual persons or movements and to wallow in the depth of the message without judgment. It is refreshing.

I'm not one who loves musicals. To be more honest, I really don't like musicals. There are a few exceptions which have excited me. Lion King is one of them.


Photo Credits: Rhino photo: boiteaoutils.blogspot.com/2008_09_01_archive.html/ Lion King photo: http://kublia.lionking.org/tlkob/GALLERY.HTML

1 comment:

  1. I too have seen Lion King more than once and I was in awe each time I saw it. The last time we were lucky enough to sit in the front row....an absolutely amazing experience. For those of you who have seen it, you can only imagine what it was like to be so close to see mascara on the eyes of the performers. The costuming and physical ability of the performers were more than anyone could hope for. If you haven't seen it, you MUST.

    ReplyDelete