Monday, January 11, 2010

CURMUDGEON: An ill-tempered person full of resentment and stubborn notions



I take issue (a little bit) with this definition of curmudgeon. For the most part, it captures the idea that a curmudgeon is a person who expresses strong, critical thoughts. But I sense that the word curmudgeon has come to include a slightly humorous, maybe even lovable, meaning to it. If that's not true for the general populace, I claim it as the way I use the word. Am I allowed to do that?

I once hosted a group of men to study the Bible. They were older, for the most part, and had strong opinions, some of which were critical of current biblical methodology. I advertised the group as The Curmudgeons and attracted a good number of lovable, humorous, and strongly-opinionated men who enjoyed jousting with me on biblical methods and understandings. That is what I mean when I use the word.

The person I most associate with the word curmudgeon is Andy Rooney, the writer and commentator who occupies the last ten minutes of the TV show, 60 Minutes. I don't know about others, but one of the primary reasons I watch the show is to hear Andy Rooney speak out about things which might otherwise escape the public's attention. Ordinarily, Rooney rants about things ordinary, like cell phones, junk mail, and shoes that don't fit.

But regularly, Andy Rooney also takes on issues in contemporary government that are timely, poignant, and notable. He has been known to step over the line at times and include comment that is lacking in sensitivity to race, ethnicity, and women. Each time he is roundly criticized by the public and has been removed by the producers of the show for periods of punishment. He is old enough and financially secure enough not to be devastated by these punishments.

I think most people who listen to him recognize that he does not feel obligated to temper his words to be politically correct. I wince at some of his comments...but the next week I'm right back there waiting impatiently for the last ten minutes so I can see what Andy is upset about this week. His raspy voice, aging posture, and well-written script make for a few minutes of pleasure for me.

I may be playing with words to promote Andy Rooney as my favorite curmudgeon. He might resent my use of that word in referring to him. Linguists and other word scholars may complain that I don't have the right to shape the definition of curmudgeon to fit a meaning that works for me. But I stand by my use of the word. I don't think most people hate Andy Rooney because he is outspoken and occasionally negative. If that was the case, I think his ratings would not be a high as they are. I have a feeling that there are others...maybe many others...who would agree with me that Andy is a curmudgeon and that is what makes him enjoyable.



The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2009 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment