Saturday, January 30, 2010

AHA! MOMENT: exclamation of surprise or delighted discovery, c.1386, from ah + ha.



In spite of the fact that she has popularized the idea lately, Oprah Winfrey did not invent the term "AHA! MOMENT." It is a term with which I have been familiar throughout my life. But I have to admit that I was shocked to discover that it dates all the way back to the 14th Century! Dictionary.com reports that it was recorded in 1387 by Chaucer:
"They crieden out! ... A ha the fox! and after him thay ran."

I loved Chaucer's writing, so it pleases me to know that the recorded term can be attributed to him.

It's an amazing moment when "A Ha!" strikes me. I have been struggling with an idea, a concept, a problem and suddenly, out of nowhere, a solution pops into my mind and all is right with the world!

I had such a moment yesterday when I was talking with my friend, Bill, about the Tween novel I just finished. I'm ready to go to a publisher with it, and have been dreading the process. Getting a book...even a good one like this...into print is a draining, humiliating, and discouraging process.

Drawers full of rejection notices from agents and publishers are testimony to weeks, months, and sometimes years of pitching my work to people who seem to have consumed too much caffeinated coffee. It is a myth in the publishing world that writers are also good marketers. Believe me, the two things do not come in the same package. I told Bill that I dreaded the thought of tiptoeing into the process. He, also a writer, knew exactly what I was saying.

Then it happened. A HA! I can't remember who thought of it first...probably Bill.

* This is a Tween novel aimed at boys and girls between the ages of 8 and 14.

* This is the 21st Century.

* More than likely, these kids are going to read my book in electronic mode rather than in hard copy.

Now let me be clear: I have already said in a previous post that I have very romantic thoughts about kids reading my books in hard copy, smelling the ink, feeling the texture of the pages, placing a bookmark between the pages to mark the spot when it's time to turn out the light and go to bed. That's my image of reading, and it means a lot to me.

But reality can trump nostalgia, and this is one of those moments. If I truly expect to sell my "book" to kids I have to be realistic that they, unlike me, will be drawn to the electronic method of reading. Hopefully, there will be some who will want to purchase a hard copy; libraries (if they continue to exist) will stock hard copies; parents and grandparents will want to give the book as a gift. But, let's face it, the great bulk of sales will be online. It's time for me to be honest about it if I'm going to realize any income from this book.

There is some pain in recognizing this A HA! Moment. I hate to give in and admit when I'm wrong. But if I don't have to jump through all of those publishing hoops and cower before the agents and publishers, a little humility is worth it.

I don't have the foggiest idea how somebody puts a book for sale online. But I know who can lead me through that, and she will get a phone call or email today. Then someday, down the line, I'll contact the right people to see about getting the book in print. Maybe I'll self-publish just to accomplish that nostalgic task.

I just read this post to myself and realized that it sounds like I'm talking outloud, having a conversation with myself. But you are not eavesdropping (see yesterday's post below)...I invited you into this moment.



Dictionary Credits and Chaucer Quote: Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2001 Douglas Harper
Photo Credit: uslaw.com

No comments:

Post a Comment