Thursday, October 15, 2009

Why "Penultimate"?

When choosing the name for this blog it was clear to me that I didn't want to come across as the final answer on anything. I have always prided myself on being someone open to suggestion, capable of being wrong, and welcoming of criticism. Even though I bristle when criticized, I am calm enough to realize that criticism is a form of compliment. If a reader takes the time to read my material, think about it seriously, and write back to me with a suggestion or criticism, I have accomplished something big.



Consequently, my offerings are not ultimate in the sense of being the final word. Rather, they are penultimate. I'd like to think that the things I write are within the realm of being accurate and acceptable. But I've never been fond of pieces in which the author claims the answer. Maybe that's why I'm a liberal in politics, religion, and taste.



In any case, I cling to the idea that what I offer will be penultimate. If an appropriate revision, explanation, or substitution comes along, I'll let you know about it in a succeeding blog.



There will be no specific theme to my blogs other than being a piece inspired by the word of the day. I'm interested in politics, literature, sports, religion, sociology, psychology and just about anything else that tweaks the nerves in the brain.



Thanks for pulling up this first blog. I hope you'll come back for subsequent blogs. If you have a comment, please offer it. And, from time to time I will be asking people to submit guest blogs. Who knows? Maybe you.



Jed

1 comment:

  1. Well, this is long and, forgive me, "wordy." But interesting in its own way; I wonder where the author "stands," takes a position on any one topic?

    ReplyDelete