Thursday, October 29, 2009

HARMONY:


a consistent, orderly, or pleasing arrangement of parts; congruity. (Dictionary.com)

----------------------------------------

I've been to concerts of Barber Shop Quartets before, many years ago. There is a combination of music and entertainment which makes the concerts work, and I always begin with an appreciation for the tight harmony practiced by the participants. But I have to say that I can only listen to barber shop quartets for a few minutes. I don't think I've ever stayed for the entire concert. After a short period of time the sound becomes irritating to me. It doesn't diminish my appreciation for the skills of the singers; it just grates on my eardrums.

Perhaps that isn't the best way to begin a posting about harmony, but I think barber shop quartets are a good example of how harmony works. Musical notes, in themselves, carry a degree of integrity. When I hear one member of the quartet practicing, I can see the significance of his or her line. In itself, it has beauty. But it is only when combined with the other three members of the quartet that it gains its intended significance.

Kahlil Gibran, author of my well-worn book, The Prophet, makes a point of this when he speaks of marriage. He cautions about the need to work in concert, but not to forget to be alone.

"Sing and dance together and be joyous, but let each one of
you be alone, Even as the strings of a lute are alone though

they quiver with the same music."

When harmony works, whether in music or in other arenas of life, the strings "quiver with the same music" and it is wonderful.

I have been thinking a lot about this as I watch the way in which the health care debates are taking place in Washington. The only way this vital issue will be resolved is for the Members of Congress to seek harmony. It doesn't mean that there cannot be separate issues which speak to the needs of different constituencies. But if those separate issues are voiced in a desire for harmony in the final product, the nation will benefit.

It seems to me that there is an awful lot of practicing going on which involves only the single voice. It is time to bring them together to produce the harmony we all seek.


Photo credit: Mercury Visuals, Nick Iwanyshyn

2 comments:

  1. Oh beautiful! I am so happy you are back. How fantastique to connect Kahil Gibran and the members of congress in this post...gives me hope.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow ... now, as Darcie said, the next step is audience ... you need one (a big one). Such great stuff, and RELEVANT. Oh, and good morning, btw.

    ReplyDelete