Saturday, October 31, 2009

HALLOWE'EN:


the evening of October 31. (Dictionary.com)

------------------------

In the need for transparency, let me tell you right up front that I'm not fond of the holiday Hallowe'en. I never have been. I have to be careful when I say that because it's my younger daughter's birthday. But she knows what I mean. The secular celebration of Hallowe'en is something that leaves me cold.

As a religious holiday Hallowe'en begins to make some sense. In Christian practice, it is the night before the Feast of All Saints, when Christians remember those who have died who have contributed to the fabric of Christianity in unusual ways. It isn't about bringing them out of their graves to "spook" the world, although it does give a nod to the biblical theme that on the day of a coming resurrection, the graves will open and those who have died will join with the living faithful in entering a New Jerusalem. And it certainly isn't about masks of Dick Cheney, Elvis, or Dolly Parton. Those are aberrations concocted by commercial enterprises to promote sales.

Rather, it is about Saint Francis, David Pendleton Oakerhater, Martin Luther, Joan of Arc and their colleagues. Remembering them and hearing their stories again helps to instill spiritual energy into a sometimes sleepy Christian Church.

The whole idea of trick or treat escapes me, although my wife and I buy lots of candy and distribute it to little kids who come to our door. We "get" more than a hundred each year, and I'm not about to rain on some little kid's parade. But I wish that the parents would stop feeding this materialistic greed to their children. The whole idea of passing out healthy treats isn't the answer either. Celery and carrot sticks just make stressed-out kids even crankier. I'm a realist, and it is clear that trick or treat is here to stay.

Do I sound negative and nasty? Sorry. Happy Birthday, Allison.




3 comments:

  1. Thanks, Dad. Looking forward to singing my favorite hymn in church tomorrow ... "I sing a song of the saints of God, patient and brave and true ..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. My very, very favorite hymn too, my old edition hymnal comments, "Hymn for children," and i mean to be one too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice - bringing history and tradition to the forefront - where it belongs. I fully agree with you; it would be wonderful to have the day be a learning experience - rather than just another in a long-line of days "marketed" for special purchases and consumption.

    ReplyDelete