Wednesday, December 23, 2009

HOLIDAY:a day fixed by law or custom on which ordinary business is suspended in commemoration of some event or in honor of some person



The controversy over what to say to people these days as a seasonal greeting can get silly. Granted, I prefer for people to say Merry Christmas when referring to the December 25 event, but I understand that it is uncomfortable for some. I find that strange, but I'm sensitive to that discomfort. I love to say "Happy Hanukkah" to my Jewish friends. I'm a little more uncomfortable about "Happy Kwanzaa" or "Blessed Ramadan," as I know that some African-Americans are not supportive of the holiday created for African-Americans to celebrate their heritage. And I've never been sure that Muslims wanted non-Muslims to acknowledge Ramadan.

So, to be truthful, "Happy Holidays" is not a bad thing to say. It's a little bland, but it covers the gamut. Probably by being generic it loses some of the steam intended.

It has been my understanding that the word holiday was a simple spelling variation on the words holy day. Consequently, I was surprised when I went to the dictionary and found that I had to scroll down a ways in the listed definitions before I came to a reference to Holiday having something to do with religious celebrations. I suppose it's implied in the preferred definition above, but I thought it would be more prominent a definition.

Just out of curiosity I went to a website called Holiday Insights. I was curious to see what they could add to my research. I typed in December 25 and found what I expected, that it is a day on which most Christians celebrate Christmas, the birth of Jesus of Nazareth.

But to my amusement, I was surprised to find that December 25 is also known as Pumpkin Pie Day,a day on which some people celebrate the glories of pumpkin pies. To be fair, the day only exists, it tells me, because it is one of the most common American foods eaten at Christmas. I have to say that I have never had anyone tell me "Happy Pumpkin Pie Day"...and I'm not sure I'm comfortable trying it out on friends. It sounds to me like a creation of some commercial institution, such as a company that provides canned pumpkin pie filling. I don't know that for sure, but doesn't it sound likely?

I'm equally suspicious of other "holidays" that have become popular in our country, such as Mother's Day, Father's Day, Grandparent Day, Children's day. I refer to them as Hallmark Card days. Any excuse to get people to purchase cards, flowers, and other gifts during a slow season. I'm not stupid enough to ignore Mother's Day, and I enjoy the special treatment on Father's Day, but I do acknowledge the flaw.

Most of my Jewish friends are not only comfortable, but enthusiastic, about saying "Merry Christmas" to me. They seem to get it, that for Christians it is a special holiday...a holy day...with theological significance. That aspect of Christmas has faded for much of the population, for whom it is a secular holiday more focused on gift-giving and gift-receiving than anything else. My limited cynical side recognizes that the holiday has been co-opted by commercial enterprises. But we'll celebrate Christmas on Christmas Eve at Saint Bartholomew's Church in New York City, where a magnificent choir, inspired preaching and an awesomely-beautiful setting will inspire us. More on that in a couple of days.

I'll practice my "Happy Pumpkin Pie Day" greeting, but don't be surprised if I don't say it to you.

Photo Credit: Copyright 2000-2010: holidayinsights.com © By Premier Star Co.
Definition Credit: http://dictionary.reference.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment