Monday, November 2, 2009

CORRECTION: I FOUND THE WORD!

After searching diligently for the word "nonrhoticity" which I featured in the last posting, I stumbled upon it in a blog entitled www.antimoon.com.. The writer confirms the existence of the word "rhoticity" as being a word which retains the use of the "r" in speech patterns. Obviously, the "nonrhoticic" speaker is one who drops the "r."

So, disregard my accolades for the author of Sunday's article (which was excellent, however.) Brian was simply using a term already in existence in linguistic circles.

However, the experiencing of the phenomenon in our native Boston area appears to be unique, so the rest of the posting works. And Ted Kennedy is referenced in the Antimoon.com article as an example of someone we knew who manifested the speech pattern. (The author prefers the hosts of "Car Talk" as better examples, however.) I think he may be on to something.

My word sleuthing requires more of an effort before rushing to publication. Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment